The John L. Bryan* Chair endowment provides full support for one Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) every year. The support is provided to outstanding, incoming Master of Science (MS) students, domestic or international, in the FPE department and is awarded on a competitive basis.
The support goes to an individual who has already applied or will be applying to the FPE M.S. program. Identification of a research project and a M.S. thesis faculty advisor are welcome but are not required. The recipient of the John L. Bryan GRA Award is expected to complete the proposed research project under the supervision of a member of the Faculty of the FPE Department.
The Award includes standard tuition credits (up to 25), health benefits, and a stipend (approximately $31k). The duration of the support is up to 12 months. If additional support is needed, the Department will seek to provide additional funds, possibly through a Teaching Assistantship or through funds made available by the Faculty advisor of the Awardee.
Interested applicants should provide a one-page statement of purpose explaining their interest in the M.S. degree program in general and in fire research in particular. Applicants should also provide an updated resume. Applications should be submitted via email to Arnaud Trouvé, Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the FPE Department (email@example.com). The deadline for application is usually around February 15 and will be announced on the FPE website. A decision on the recipient of the John L. Bryan GRA Award is made by the beginning of March. The competition applies to incoming students who start their M.S. program in the following Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring terms.
Please follow this link to download the award information sheet.
Meet the 2020 JLB Chair Award recipient, Joe Alascio (link to be provided soon)
*Dr. John L. Bryan served as Professor and Founding Chair of the Department of Fire Protection Engineering beginning with the establishment of the Department in 1956 until his retirement from the University of Maryland in 1993.