Members of the media are encouraged to attend!
THIS YEAR'S PROGRAM:
Date/time: Thursday, December 16, 2021 (9:00 AM - 12:30 PM)
Location: 3229 JM Patterson Building (3rd floor), Koffel Associates Fire Standards Lab
8:30 - UMD crew arrival
9:00 - Media arrival/set-up
9:30 - Small-scale tests condcuted (real & artificial trees)
9:50 - Full-scale rest on well-water (real) tree
10:15 - Full-scale test on dry (real) tree
10:30 - 11:00 - Media departure
12:00 - HRR Prediction Competition
Media contact: Katie Holland Doyle (firstname.lastname@example.org, 301.405.0379).
TO ALL VISITORS:
All visitors on campus are expected to abide by the UMD campus health and safety guidelines:
1. Check for Symptoms. Prior to coming to campus, check whether you have any of the symptoms listed below
- Temperature of 100.4 Fahrenheit or higher
- New onset cough
- Trouble breathing
- Sore throat
- New or unusual headache
- New loss of taste or smell
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle or body aches
- Excessive fatigue
2. Do not come to campus if:
- You have any of the symptoms listed above (unless they are related to a long-term health condition).
- You are caring for someone with COVID-19 or possible COVID-19 infection and you have not been fully vaccinated.
- You are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test because you had symptoms or were exposed.
- If you suspect you are sick in any way, even with mild illness.
Christmas Trees are festive, and potentially hazardous - UMD, Dec. 2018
Demonstration shows how fast Christmas tree fires can spread if tree not well watered - Fox5 DC, Dec. 2018
Holmes Fire sponsors Fall 2017 UMD Program for high school students - UMD, Dec. 2017
UMD scientists show dangers of dry Christmas tress - WBALTV, Dec. 2017
Watch: Christmas Tree Safety - Fox45 Baltimore, Dec. 2017
Fire safety demo sparks interest of local teen - UMD, Jan. 2017
Follow this link for information on the burning rate competition!