- fire modeling, including Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and zone modeling
- direct numerical simulation (DNS) and large eddy simulation (LES) of turbulent reacting flows
- high-performance (parallel) scientific computing
- application of data assimilation to fire and combustion
- physical modeling of fire-related phenomena: buoyancy-generated turbulence; turbulent combustion; soot formation and oxidation; combustion-generated toxic products; radiation heat transfer; wall surface heat transfer; water-based fire suppression systems; pyrolysis, material flammability and flame spread; flash fires, fireballs, and explosions; wildfire propagation
- Associate Professor (2001-present), University of Maryland at College Park, MD
- Guest Researcher (part time) (2005-07), Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, MD
- Research Scientist (1999-2001), The George Washington University, DC
- Senior Research Engineer (1993-1999), French Petroleum Institute, France
- Post-doctoral Researcher (1990-1993), Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University, CA.
- Engineering Degree and M.S. (1985), Ecole Centrale of Paris, France
- Ph.D. (1989), Ecole Centrale of Paris, France
- Fluid Mechanics, ENFP300
- Heat and Mass Transfer, ENFP312
- Enclosure Fire Modeling, ENFP425
- Computational Methods in FPE, ENFP426
- Industrial Fire Safety, ENFP489I/629I
- Advanced Fire Modeling, ENFP625
- Diffusion Flames and Burning Rate Theory, ENFP630
- International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS)
- US Section of the Combustion Institute
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- Member of the Editorial Board of Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 2011-14
- Member of the Editorial Board of Combustion and Flame, 2009-14
- Member of the Editorial Board of Combustion Theory and Modelling, 2008-14
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the International Symposium on Combustion, 2008-15
- Member of the Editorial Board of Fire Safety Journal, 2014-2016
- Technical reviewer for: Combustion and Flame, Combustion Science and Technology, Combustion Theory and Modeling, Fire Safety Journal, Fire Technology, Journal of Computational Physics, Journal of Fire Sciences, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Turbulence, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Physics of Fluids; American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Combustion Institute, Department of Energy, International Association for Fire Safety Science, National Science Foundation.
- At-large Member (2005-07), Arrangements Chair (2007-11), Program Chair (2011-13) and Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect (2013-15) of the Executive Board of the US Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the US Sections of the Combustion Institute (2011-15).
- Member of the Management Committee, member of the Executive Committee and Vice-Chairman of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS) (2009-17)
- Program co-Chair of the 11th Symposium of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS), University of Canterbury, New Zealand, February 2014. (see www.iafss.org/symposium/11th-symposium/11th-symposium-program/)
- Program Chair of the Fall Technical Meeting of the US Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, Clemson University, SC, October 2013.
- Host Committee Chair of the 10th Symposium of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS), University of Maryland, June 2011. (see www.fpe.umd.edu/html/iafss-june11/)
- Co-Chair and Coordinator of the Fire Research Colloquium at the 33rd International Symposium on Combustion, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, August 2010.
- Member of Committee on “Building Cyberinfrastructure for Combustion Research”, study organized by the National Academies’ Board on Mathematical Sciences and Their Applications, Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, and Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, funded by AFOSR, NIST, DOE, NASA and ARO (2009-10).
- Arrangement Chair of the Fall Technical Meeting of the US Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, University of Maryland, October 2009.
- Co-Chair of the “Fire Research” Colloquium at the 32nd International Symposium on Combustion, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, August 2008.
- Organizer and Chair of a 2-day Workshop entitled “A NSF Workshop on Cyber-based Combustion Science”, sponsored by NSF Thermal Systems Program, Division of Chemical and Transport Systems, Directorate for Engineering, May 2006.
- Roy, S.P., Arias, P.G., Lecoustre, V.R., Haworth, D.C., Im, H.G. and Trouvé, A., (2014) “Development of high fidelity soot aerosol dynamics models using method of moments with interpolative closure”, Aerosol Sci. Technol. 48:379–391.
- Rochoux, M.C., Emery, C., Ricci, S., Cuenot, B. and Trouvé, A. (2013) “Towards predictive simulation of wildfire spread at regional scale using ensemble-based data assimilation to correct the fire front position”, Fire Safety Science – Proc. Eleventh International Symposium, International Association for Fire Safety Science, accepted for publication.
- Ghorbani, Z., Webster, R., Lázaro, M. and Trouvé A. (2013) “Limitations in the predictive capability of pyrolysis models based on a calibrated semi-empirical approach”, Fire Safety J. 61:274–288.
- Rochoux, M.C., Cuenot, B., Ricci, S., Trouvé, A., Delmotte, B., Massart, S., Paoli, R. and Paugam, R. (2013) “Data assimilation applied to combustion”, C.R. Mécanique 341:266-276.
- Rochoux, M.C., Delmotte, B., Cuenot, B., Ricci, S. and Trouvé, A. (2013) “Regional-scale simulations of wildland fire spread informed by real-time flame front observations”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 34:2641-2647.
- Lecoustre, V., Narayanan, P., Baum, H. R. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Local extinction of diffusion flames in fires”, Fire Safety Science – Proc. Tenth International Symposium, International Association for Fire Safety Science, 583-595.
- Narayanan, P., Baum, H. R. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Effect of soot addition on extinction limits of luminous laminar counterflow diffusion flames”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 33:2539-2546.
- Arias, P.G., Im, H. G., Narayanan, P. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Extinction of nonpremixed ethylene-air flames by water spray”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 33:2591-2597.
- Trouvé, A. and Wang, Y. (2010) “Large eddy simulation of compartment fires”, Intl. J. Computational Fluid Dynamics, 24:449-466.
- Lazaro, M., Boehmer, H., Alvear, D., Capote, J. A. and Trouvé A., (2008) “Numerical simulation of fire growth, transition to flashover, and post-flashover dynamics in the Dalmarnock fire test”, Fire Safety Science – Proc. Ninth International Symposium, International Association for Fire Safety Science, 1377-1388.
- Hu, Z., Utiskul, Y., Quintiere, J. G. and Trouvé A. (2005) “A comparison between observed and simulated flame structures in poorly ventilated compartment fires”, Fire Safety Science – Proc. Eigth International Symposium, International Association for Fire Safety Science, 1193-1204.